- Transforming youth potential
Being a global citizen is essential to life in the 21st century. The Education for Global Citizenship guide for schools published by Oxfam states that 'today, more than ever before, the global is part of our everyday local lives'. In addition, the fact that we now live in what is termed a Global Village means that students are not only aware of global events but they are also aware that what happens across the globe affects them too. The Oxfam guide argues that 'Global Citizenship gives [students] the knowledge, understanding, skills and values that they need if they are to participate fully in ensuring their own and others', well-being and to make a positive contribution, both locally and globally'. Assumptions of citizenship are changing and today students are not only encouraged to be aware of the world around them, but to also take an active part in that world. For anyone to be considered an active Global citizen, he/she must possess certain character traits and qualities.
Qualities of an Active Global Citizen.
1) Global citizens try to understand other people and have empathy for them.
2) Global citizens act fairly in their choices, their decisions, and their words.
3) Global citizens believe that they are just as important as everyone else.
4) Global citizens believe that all people are equal. They do not think of some groups or individuals as superior or inferior to others.
5) Global citizens accept differences and do not react with hostility to people who are different from them.
6) Global citizens are willing to help and cooperate with others.
7) Global citizens have their own ideas and express them, but they are open to changing them if they are proved wrong.
8) Global citizens are curious and want to learn more about the world.
9) Global citizens look after the Environment and don’t waste things.
10) Global citizens believe they can make a positive difference in the world.
Characteristics of an Active Global Citizen
1)Feels responsible for helping others, in one’s own community and distant places.
2)Respects the rights of others, in one’s own community and distant places.
3) Is open-minded and interested in learning new things about the world.
4) Has empathy for others, including understanding and concern for others’ feelings, in one’s own Community and distant places.
5) Demonstrates concern for the environment, locally and globally.
6)Believes people should be treated fairly, in one’s own community and distant places.
7)Is able to solve problems or disagreements with others, including compromising and finding solutions together.
Ten Character traits of an Active Global Citizen.
Developing positive character traits among youth is vital in today's society. An active Global Citizen should possess certain character traits. Global Steps has identified the most common and broad-ranging group of character traits
Being accountable in word and deed. Having a sense of duty to fulfill tasks with reliability, dependability and commitment.
Pursuing worthy objectives with determination and patience while exhibiting fortitude when confronted with failure.
Showing understanding of others by treating them with kindness, compassion, generosity and a forgiving spirit.
Demonstrating hard work controlling your emotions, words, actions, impulses and desires. Giving your best in all situations.
Telling the truth, admitting wrongdoing. Being trustworthy and acting with integrity.
Doing the right thing in face of difficulty and following your conscience instead of the crowd.
A person who publicly supports a cause or action without fear.
Showing high regard for an authority, other people, self and country. Treating others as you would want to be treated. Understanding that all people have value as human beings.
A firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values. Being honest, trustworthy and incorruptible.
A love for and loyalty to one's country
Mamuntisunio, el photonius - Jalium calaniluitus